Smooth, soft to the touch and embraces you



All about the magazines ..... you would almost think I was talking about physical intimacy wouldn't you?  Naw, of course not, that's not like me to talk about that stuff on a blog... yet, LOL.

I miss the mass of magazines I used to accumulate and in a scattered pile.  The pillar of my information, absorbed, read and experienced in my chosen leisure time.  When I could have soft music playing and a fireplace on, creating the ambiance of the world I was entering:  a magazine.

Today, when I got home, like most of us do, at least twice a day to the millions of people who some appear nonchalant about, while some can barely lift their eyes from the smartphones no matter where they are, driving, on the bus, under the desk, feet up on the desk pretending like it is a really important email from a client or shareholder or employee, or handset glued to the ear as if what you are listening to FAR exceeded in importance in no matter what you are doing: a seminar, a meeting, or online company page.

I drifted off from my point for a few seconds.  As often I do when I'm hit with a flurry of ideas or responses to something I read, and sometimes I hear.

I was inspired so overwhelmingly, I rolled up my sleeves and composed a comment.  Again, perhaps some spend their days posting and commenting lest somebody forget that they're online.  I don't very often.  I want to far more.

I admit that as a huge fan and connoisseur of magazines, my attention will drift to the better known and simultaneously printed magazines, first before any online avenue.  

I often detour to read one major player's articles first before the scattering of other noise posted on various social media.  In this instance, I saw a distance from writing perspective. 

One can't help but understand that traditional printed media who are defining their online power, default to Bloggers.  I am even connected to this writer on Linked In and read his/her posts there.  So, I clicked on the article seeing the title and who it was issued by default

I observed some disturbing things:

The most glaring error of NOT editing Bloggers is the key differentiator:  Bloggers are typically selling themselves, their beliefs and promoting their services, shouting  "for sale, FOR SALE" to rise among the noise.  

Typically, as a traditional magazine avid fan, it is not hard for me to gravitate towards magazines over newsprint, as I did today.  I always relate traditional magazines as credible, carefully crafted design, and intimacy with its readers which they feel embraced by this safety net.
  
Alas, the distinction is blurred to my grave dismay.  I discovered this article included by an online self-promoter, Blogger, expert, social media personality all tied into one.  It was a quick scan, not even an absorbed read (which the intellectual online reader is, above average in intelligence), it was ablaze with me, I and my.  

Slipped through the cracks of editorial review, where now is too late, the distinction of credible traditional magazine experience, was lost.  Real writers don't talk about themselves, they lose themselves in their topic or their characters or subjects.  

It is a huge disservice to loyal readers who have graceful swayed from the printed environment to the online environment.

People forget that magazines are about the experience, where fact checking is taken for example, and rarely without editorial hand.  If you are going to give Bloggers a spin, don't allow them to promote their spin.  They should talk to their subject and let their words stand.  Just like.  Beautifully touching (sliding sheets) softly dimmed (photographic brilliance) where the naive think that most just read it for the ads, like Vogue.  The most gifted presentations allow the readers' eyes to drift from article to advertisement to advertorial, with little differentiation with a lot of trust in hand.  

Now that online former credible printed magazines have been overtaken by Bloggers, they will dimmer and diminish among the noise trying to become noticed in a crowded clouded assembly of just about anybody. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment.

Your post will be moderated to avoid SPAM