Social media works


"The more you praise and celebrate your life, the more there is in life to celebrate."
~Oprah Winfrey

Firmly at the bottom of my social media scale has been firstly, the great people whom I am connected with.  Without people, you will go nowhere.  That lesson resonates with everyone everywhere.  It is a leadership principle and a people principle.

Social media personalities are there for the duration and the long haul.  They are never scattered, nor a politician, celebrity or brand looking for a boost in numbers.  Or more aggressively trying to innovate a hashtag (#) to trend by money or influence.  The real social media superstars make things happen and inspire others to reach out to absorb their message.

What can you do to merge with the crew and start the climb?  I would have to say, you have to adapt a "do-it-yourself" attitude immediately after you start making the connections.

"Dream on it.  Let your mind take you to places you would like to go, and then think about it and plan it and celebrate the possibilities.  And don't listen to anyone who doesn't know how to dream."
~Liza Minnelli


Only YOU can build your brand.  That is what social media tends to forge ahead by:  what resonates with you personally?  Is it something you like to do?  Do you jump up to write, take photographs, create scrumptious dishes, read, debate, view, leverage, learn, lead, quote, inspire others?  

The ones who have gained followers, are heeded, invited to speak, write a blog all began somewhere near the bottom.  They had the commitment and work ethic to start at the bottom and build up what they tend to love.  




They do have a photo everywhere that is recognizable because of the consistency it portrays.  Their bios can set them apart but the gracious wording with boasting humbly set aside.  The proof is there.  Simple.  It shows in the numbers.

Do you ask others or ask those you find appear to have found the secret formula on creating massive followings how they got there?  I asked one of my earliest friends within a group:  what makes you so special?  How did you get so many followers?  I pause for the holy grail or secret ingredient.  I hesitate a few minutes wondering if he will even respond.

I shouldn't have been surprised that he did respond.  These rockstars are everyone's people and they practice what they feel is relevant to those who have joined their crew.  They are self-made socialpreneurs or omnipresent everywhere it seems.

Stephen's response was mild, simple and a little amusing.  He said:  "I just show up."

Remarkable isn't it?  The best of the best are more than likely do-it-yourselfers.  They craft their home pages and bios with a dedicated eye for standing out in the crowd, with simply an self-image that presents a "normal" person and a short concise bio.  

I'm sure if I had a private conversation with each and every one of them, there would be that common thread of being true to themselves and not the narcissistic personality many off the mark will identify them to be when they are far from the truth.





What is certain is that singing is not merely modulating a song by means of the voice: we sing and we celebrate the beauty that we can grow and live every day. If you want to sing and give emotions to those who are listening, you must have something to tell through your singing; you have to use singing like an instrument to tell something.
~Andrea Bocelli



You see, friends.  The true, great, superstars are people.  They have uncovered their true calling and hitched on to a passion that was bubbling below the surface just waiting to escape as more than steam.  

The overnight, viral campaigns that catch on are fleeting.  The social media super stars show up daily, evening, morning or the wee hours.  They stroll through the information, images, quotes, knowledge to disperse with and share.  Some have become lucky enough to be travel bloggers or convention speakers for sums of money.

I'm not sure who really has made a bucket load of money from their notoriety.  Money seems to fall far below on the list of must haves when they are gaily enjoying what floats their boat:  a passion, a cause, a knowledge morsel, travel, writing, creativity.

A Bad Hair Day by Aaron Karnovski on Fivehundredpx


It isn't really who you know either.  That eventually works itself out.  People recognize authenticity, a magnetic force that other talented people gravitate to.  If you are good at something, it is usually because you love it.  

The irony of being this do-it-yourselfer is that I am not really an artist nor a photographic genius.  I simply think my eyes seek beauty.   It could be artistic, word, graphic, illustration, advertisement, photographic objects or people.  I just love looking at visuals.  I like when my brain softly says:  "huh".  That translates to my internal mechanism that something I am looking or reading is striking.  

The challenge of being a do-it-yourselfer is balancing the real world, life, family, work, friends with the online one.  Some may believe it is an addiction of sorts.  I've never missed a birthday celebration, work event, training schedule, taking my dog for a walk or cooking dinner.  


My social media world continually inspires, amazes and pleases me immensely.  I can turn off the computer, I don't stop to do selfies everywhere, and take pleasure in many offline interests.  I garden, I paint, I text kids, have phone conversations with friends and family or meet with them over dinner or a coffee.

Life outside social media is more enjoyable.  I have discovered ways to continue my gardening as a fledgling green thumb, I recycle things daily with my blue box, I commute to work and see things with new eyes.  I try adding a new menu element I wouldn't have otherwise tried.  I volunteer to do a gingerbread house for my team at work.  

I have at my disposal the wonderment of the outside world, embellished by the knowledge and discoveries I find online.

That, my friends, is the secret to an online social media personality.  Be authentic, read, watch, listen or view what rocks your world.  As you continually fill your mind and brain with wonderful things, your world and karma evolves to attract only those great things.



"How important it is for us to recognize and celebrate our heroes and sheroes."
~Maya Angelou




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment.

Your post will be moderated to avoid SPAM