What is QUALIFICATION in sales?

It's that old selling example of selling ice to an eskimo.

I say the eskimo has not been qualified appropriately. If you "qualify" the eskimo, you would ask him where he plans to put the ice, how he plans on using it, and if it is going to be in his igloo how long does it have to last? Does the eskimo have to discuss the purchase of ice with someone else or does he have the coins in his pocket? You may also want to ask how often he needs ice (determine pricing and/or future opportunity)?

Through the qualification process -- which is asking a ton of questions -- it comes down to patience and commitment to uncover the real need or opportunity.

If I were to sell ice to an eskimo, I'd end up selling a refridgerator!

Yes, it would have been much easier and quicker to sell him ice, which would mean I did my job. Yet, if I ended up selling him a refrigerator, he'd be much happier, most likely refer me to other eskimos who have only thought of buying ice, and I'd end up looking outstanding!

To me, it isn't rocket science -- it results from clear qualification.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment.

Your post will be moderated to avoid SPAM