Mind your manners or we'll mind you!

“Whenever you are asked if you can do a job, tell ‘em, ‘Certainly I can!’ Then get busy and find out how to do it.”

~Theodore Roosevelt


One of the oddest occurrence in recruiting happened to me this week.  So odd, in fact, that I wanted to share it.   It isn't unusual, whether you are actively seeking a new career opportunity or not, for a recruiter to reach out to you to ask if you may be looking for a change, or ask whether you know someone that would make a strong candidate. 




The following email as received in my personal email out of the blue from someone I had never heard of or interacted with before or connected with on Linked In.  I edited out particulars for privacy purposes):

 


On Tue, Jan 21, 2014 at 2:28 PM,

Hi Jeannette,
I am reaching out to you today for your help.

A client of mine is a large retail chain with over 250 superstores in Western Canada. Their headquarters are located in Saskatoon.
 
My client is offering xxxxxxxxxx max base(Based on seniority)+10% Bonus+15K moving bonus for a Solid Senior Business Analyst with Petrolium Systems OR Propane Systems Wholesale and maketing experience.

Here is a detailed Job Description:
 
This is a massive organization that employs over 3000 people with over 120 in IT that they hope to grow to 250 within a year.

If you are interested in moving to Saskatoon or know of anyone who would be interested in moving to Saskatoon please contact me directly with details below.
1) Attach Resume
2) Availability to interview and start
3) Your salary expectations
4) Confirm that location is ok

If this email has reached you while your area of expertise may be different then I would still like to hear from you; perhaps we will have the opportunity to do business in the future.

At the least I would like to have you on my network of Top Technology talent on LinkedIn; you may invite me at:

Thank you in advance for your support and looking forward to hearing from you.
 
Regards,
Sam
Business Development Manager, xxxxxxxx
Toronto, Ontario


The typos should have been my first clue.  Upon closer examination, it seemed apparent that it was generated via a well known job board, which I imagine meant that it was an email blast sent to many.  Typically, I am used to being contacted by recruiters from Linked In, rarely is an opening simply from an email and more often occurs after a telephone call.  Nonetheless, I have like to keep doors open with recruiters and treat them with respect as one would with a potential client or employer.  Therefore,  I did reply generically with my CV attached.  What floored me was this response today:
 


Hi Jeannette,
Please help me understand what you have done is relevant to what I am looking for.  Am I missing something from the resume I am looking at?
Many thanks, - Sam xxxx

 
A feather could have knocked me over.  My reaction initially was huh?  Secondly, how rude.  Thirdly,  fascinated that the latter email was a response to his own original email.  So much for being one of the "Top Technology Talent" on Linked.  Made me wonder why HE hadn't reached out there? 
 
A few other thoughts surface, but I'll keep those less kinder ones to myself.  Brushing up on "Business Etiquette" seemed obvious, another key that
stood out was that it was data driven.  Perhaps the Job Board offered various selection and then it spit out data of potential candidates which in turn generated the email.  It definitely points to the danger of relying on data and not intimately reviewing before starting any e-mail campaign.
 
 
I'm not a recruiter by profession yet I have done a fair amount of recruiting in my time.  What I do compare this to, sadly, is that generic sales letters are going out daily that quickly end up in the "trash".  What a waste of effort and reputation!

 Several pitfalls on this email stood out:

  • It is obviously generic
  • No tracking kept on who it was sent to
  • Poor memory that an email had been sent out
  • Names weren't pre-qualified by being looked up on Linked In
  • Lack of understanding on parameters selected to generate recipients.

It also speaks of laziness and I'd be embarrassed if I were Sam.  More so, if I were his employer.  He apparently was seeking top tier professionals, but wasn't acting in the same fashion.  Perhaps more likely generating activity than attracting the top tier talent to meet the goal of hiring a suitable candidate.

Do you think I looked him up on Linked in ... not yet.  I may be curious to look him up ... that's just me.  How likely do you think I will be willing to connect with him ... not likely.

It is a competitive world out there.  Be careful to mind your manners or people will pay attention and many DO mind if you forget your manners!


“One important key to success is self-confidence. An important key to self-confidence is preparation.”

~Arthur Ashe 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment.

Your post will be moderated to avoid SPAM