Failure to follow up equals failure

EVERYONE's perspective on how they personalize follow up is valuable because every sales situation is different, yet if you try a consistent, methodical approach to follow up you will increase your success rate.

For example, to put my money where my mouth is, I've started a new business development position in a completely new industry to me, with another one of Canada's largest organizations.  This large organization is retail-based and has not introduced direct business development into their culture until recently hiring a business development team of veterans for each city. 

They tell me that they consciously hired people of a "certain vintage" purposely:  no babysitting required, they outline the metrics required and let experienced pros do their magic.   Four weeks in,  I've came out of the gate quick, so quick the executive VP sent me a personal note just Friday.  By my 2nd week I signed up the most that week with 13 new customers, the next closest was 6 in Ontario (a much larger market by Canadian standards).   Then I followed up week three with 9 and by week three this program had increased sales by 40 percent.

How did I do this?  Personal cold calling is the name of the game.  There is very few pre-existing customers so I had to start with a  methodical, consistent approach:
  1. Cold Call (in person) leaving a package (warm, friendly, nonassuming)
  2. Confirm who the decision maker is and express there will be follow up to meet at a convenient time
  3. Follow up by telephone -- stating  I am following up the package and would like to sit down with them to review how others have incorporated this service and saved themselves time and money.
  4. Follow up by e-mail -- expanding upon how others benefitted i.e. specific time and cost saving examples along with value adds that were discovered after the original intent was time/money
  5. Schedule appointment
  6. At appointment:   Ask questions; listen to answers, define needs; reinforce the reasons others signed on and their positive experiences
  7. Close by getting them to agree or sign up for the service or purchase product
  8. Follow up by electronic means to ensure they have my contact information along with the rest of the team they will be working with -- it's an electronic age and most people will respond in this manner
  9. Have the associate(s) who implement and execute the service telephones to introduce themselves (provide them with a script if you think they're uncomfortable) 
  10. Have the associates follow up with you that they've made contact and notes from comments (sometimes customers or prospects are more comfortable communicating with non-sales types)
  11. Follow up AGAIN to touch base to see how they liked the first order/process
  12. Learn from those that have become customers as to why they like the product or service to use as amunition with others
Hmmmmm that's definitely 10 touches just to get going.  Sometimes  I get to 3 with no return call -- the time when most sales people quit.  That is why I try 4.  After that, I will file  it for a month or so, never assuming that they don't want to talk to me ... just that I haven't struck a cord with their needs, their too busy, already  know who to call when the need arises or I will assume I will give up.  Yet I will continue to touch base periodically (diarize for 6 weeks or so) about new developments until they tell me o stop. If I'm doing that properly those communication follow ups will be relevant and of interest.

 While my immediate success rate has been rapid, there are steadfast tips you can learn from:
  1. One of the most important elements is planning.  I plan my day as the other one ends.  I decide where I am going to call.  It also allows me to do e-mail or telephone follow up by creating a list of things to do.  That can mean, my next day will work around an appointment.  It allows me to get a decent sleep without thoughts of what I must do or forgot to do that night.  It also starts my day in high gear.
  2. Sometimes gender and/or age may translate into being more relaxed.  That is irrelevant if you appear to be confident, conversational, not pushy, or follow their cues to get to the heart of why you're there
  3. Take the time to present a professional polish (you better believe how you look conveys more than what you are selling)
  4. Only use mints, NEVER gum:  one of my pet peeves with sales people - if you don't chew like a cow, you probably communicate arrogance (that is my personal opinion)
  5. Always assume that you are intruding or interrupting,  beg for forgiveness, hand card first, introduce self, explain package then ask for who/best time to follow up
  6. You may be amazed by how many business owners/decisions makers will sit down with at that precise moment or schedule an appointment on the spot
  7. If they agree to talk, take the time to explain what you are offering, how others have benefit, interject questions, listening/watching body language for feedback to continue
  8. If you see they are starting to zone out, ask a "following me" question or offer to come back another time
  9. Don't be afraid to suggest saving  time by committing then/there
  10. If they hedge, or are not expressing objections, asking questions, ask when you can come back to see them after they have had a chance to review
  11. A non-aggressive, tactful approach oftentimes causes them to sign then.
  12. Back to 9 above
  13. Follow up with electronic means to contact
  14. Follow up on how they like the service/product
  15. Don't be surprised when they start calling with questions that turn into additional opportunities or referrals
  16. ASSESS your results.  You can zero in on a market or niche based on where your success is coming from.  Is it seasonal?  Is it because its budgeting time?  Is it because they have budget to spend?  Is there a specific industry/prospect profile that closes more readily?  Is there a better time of day to call that is less intrusive?
  17. Remember:  ALWAYS show up or call when you say you will
  18. Send a personalized thank you note/card/postcard (NOT an e-mail) after an important meeting, when a customer buys your service or product OR after a referral ... this is so important, yet a forgotten art
The standards on activity for many organizations are not always defined, yet it is for us.  To cold call less than 10 a day is unacceptable.  We're launching a new program so it isn't like we have a lot of account management excuses to fall back on.  The high benchmark is 20 calls a day.  All calls tracked MUST be in person.  No telephone calls, e-mails are included.  Initially, I thought that sounded excessive but the organization wouldn't be who it is without doing its homework first.  I have discovered that it keeps me better focussed and I maximize my "in front of customer" time.

Typically results have been determined by activity and results.  Now, my experienced boss who was hired because of his direct industry experience, who also set the activity metrics,  further defines results by saying  that they'd rather have 10 cold calls a day with more sign ups than 20 cold calls a day with no sign ups.

Yet again, if you make the minimum calls and get the sign ups that should be suffice right?  Well, not exactly because if they don't engage the service, sales won't increase.  You will only have met activity and maybe even sign ups.  I've just reinforced what we're always told in sales:  Follow Up!   Hah!  If you exceed activity metrics there is also a good chance that you're skipping follow up which translates into less closing.  To make matters more confusing, if you don't have effective follow up, the engagement may be lacking when you try to sell too fast, which equates to less revenue increase.

If you spend less time following up, your chances of failing to increase sales are greater.

2 comments:

  1. It seems so basic but people generally just do not follow up. They do not take the time to build the relationship. Some of your thoughts remind me of a book called Why, How We Do Anything Means Everything. Great Stuff, Thanks Jeanette.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Cameron! It seems amazingly basic, agreed, but far too often overlooked. Just today I had a call back after dropping off an info pkg to get contact, followed up by e-mail, then telephone 3 times ... she apologized for taking so long to get back to me as she'd been busy and we have an appt scheduled .. and she has all the info/tools in advance ... it ACTUALLY saves time and AVOIDS spinning wheels... I will look for that book :o)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment.

Your post will be moderated to avoid SPAM